Don’t forget to enter my giveaway today for a free American Airlines Admirals Club day pass.
- My favorite airline, American, is announced new service to Asia. View From the Wing has all the details, but here’s a summary:
- New Dallas-Shanghai service scheduled for summer 2014.
- New Dallas-Hong Kong service on the new 777-300ER also scheduled for summer 2014.
- They’re ending JFK-Haneda service this fall.
- They’re expanding service on the new 777-300ER out of Miami. Both London and Sao Paolo to be added.
- Best news of all. Retrofits of the existing 767 and 777 fleets to the new seats they have on the 777-300ER.
The headline here for me is the retrofit. It’s not that I don’t like flying to Asia. It’s just that American is behind in the business class seat department. The older planes have a slanted seat that’s okay, but certainly not great. The new 777-300ER seat that I got to try out to and from London recently really is a best in class amenity.
- Free Uber rides in Washington DC this weekend. Thanks to Deals We Like!
- Loyalty Traveler has some critiques of the new the SPG Hot Escapes discounts. There are definitely some kinks, and it’s still unclear whether these are features or bugs. I wrote about Hot Escapes recently and one of my readers pointed out that the addition of Hot Escapes made the display of Cash & Points rates go away from the standard display (thanks Jeff!). That’s a big annoyance for me.
Hope you’re flying somewhere fun today! If not, make sure you’re planning somewhere fun to go.