I’m not sure if I’ve ever discussed the fact that I’m a lifelong Detroit Pistons fan. This has been an incredibly hectic week for the Pistons.
1. The Pistons drafted Austin Daye from Gonzaga in the first round of the NBA draft. First 6’11” “small forward” I’ve ever seen.
2. We fired our coach, Michael Curry. Michael lost the team in the latter part of the season, so he probably needed to go.
3. We signed Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva as free agents. Both great signings.
4. Rasheed Wallace is being seriously courted by the Boston Celtics.
5. We’re seriously considering Avery Johnson as our next coach.
So, what does all this mean? It’s time to admit that, as much as I loved Joe Dumars as a player, he’s not a capable GM. After botching the Darko Milicic draft thing, we’ve had bad decisions about coaching (see Flip Saunders), bad draft decisions (Ty Lawson was a much better pick in this spot, IMO), and now we’re courting a coach who lost the last team he coached while letting a guy who epitomizes Pistons basketball (Rasheed Wallace) leave the team. Oh, almost forgot. We traded Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson because Joe thought he was over the hill. Did anyone watch the NBA Conference Championships?
All of these comments come without me having read one bit of opinion from the news media about our moves. I just think we’re squandering a lot of opportunities.
Say it ain’t so, Joe.